Mission: The One Rupee Project (TORP)
Agenda: Self Sustainable Pakistan
Motto: By the people. For the people.
Pakistan has never been able to get out of its basic domestic issues, and we never stop hearing the government, politicians and media talking about curtailing them. From violence to security problems, and education to unemployment, we’ve never really addressed ANY issue with the utmost urgency and importance it really required. It’s over 60 years since independence, and the ditch is getting deeper by the day. Why? Because the power game survives on exploitation of the hungry, shelterless, unemployed and uneducated population of this country. Things are never going to change until all of us get up to do something about it ourselves as ONE unit.
If we aim to mobilize every self sustained individual, who earns a basic income (both salaried AND self employed), in a movement to support the cause of eradicating poverty, we will end up executing one of the biggest social revolutions in Pakistan. We came up with an idea called “The One Rupee Project,” with the vision of making everyone self sustainable in Pakistan within the next 10 years. Once that mark is achieved, we’d end up eradicating poverty from the face of this country.
Who We Are
We’re a group of students, activists, professionals and above all, Pakistanis, who are desperate to bring about a major change in Pakistan. A change that we have always expected. A change that we have always talked about. Lack of self-sustainability, unemployment and education is the root cause of all issues in Pakistan, and with ‘The One Rupee Project’ we want to spark a silent revolution among all Pakistanis to unite and work towards one common goal: making everyone in Pakistan self-sustainable.
To educate people, curtail unemployment, eradicate poverty and make them self-sustainable, along with inculcating civic sense.
Our vision is a self sustainable and an educated Pakistan.
- Organizations: We’re working on signing up companies who can contribute by giving The One Rupee Project, one rupee on every transaction / sale generated. In phase 2 of the project, we plan to sign up retail businesses to offer discounts toThe One Rupee Project, membership card holders (mentioned in the next point).
- Individuals: We will ask individuals to contribute AT LEAST one rupee a day everyday, hence paying an upfront of at least Rs. 365 for a year, to become a member of the trust / NGO. In phase 2 of the project, the individuals will be issued membership cards of The One Rupee Project, which they can avail for discounts in their favorite restaurants and outlets.
- Government & International funding opportunities, if available.
Plans, Targets & Social Investment
The funds generated through The One Rupee Project will be spent in 5 areas to make Pakistan’s fundamental foundation strong, i.e., its people:
- Primary & Secondary Education
- Higher Education Scholarship Fund
- Skill Development (Painting, Plumbing, Electrician, Computer Training, Graphics, etc.)
- Investment in setting up and developing SME Businesses (from as basic as buying someone a rickshaw to starting off a basic factory or a chai restaurant)
- Funding business ideas and providing business incubation to young graduates / individuals to foster entrepreneurial ideas and turn them in to big companies in times to come.
For point number 4 and 5 (phase 2 and phase 3 projects), we intend to generate a model in which we monitor the progress, and generate revenue for The One Rupee Project to fund other businesses. Point 5 is based on a VC model, with the mission to setup businesses and create employment.
- Phase I - Awareness and Corporate Partnerships – Starting from 24th March – We’re planning a bloggers meetup on the launch. If you intend to register yourself for the same, please head over to: http://bit.ly/FPzL6X
- Phase 2 - Public donations, Retail partnerships,
- Phase 3 - SME Funding & Business Incubation
What we want from you:
- Your support and pledge that you support The One Rupee Project
- Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/onerupeeproject
- Follow us on Twitter: @OneRupeeProject
- Fill up your details here: http://bit.ly/zv8okr
- Attend the launch bloggers meetup in Karachi on the 23rd of March (if you can): http://bit.ly/FPzL6X
- Write a blog post about The One Rupee Project
- Do as much as you can to make your contacts aware, through blog posts, forward emails, Facebook, Twitter, word of mouth, media, etc.
- Help us tie up with corporate partners within your contacts for Phase I
The One Rupee Project is NOT a political party, but a NON-PROFIT movement and a silent revolution to make every Pakistani citizen self-sustainable in the next 10 years. And this is only possible when all of us unite, and contribute a little from our lives everyday. YOU can BRING the change. YOU can BE the change. And to become part of this movement, we just ask you to contribute ONE rupee a day, everyday, to make this huge task possible.
Let’s join hands for a “Khudmukhtaar Pakistan.”
For more questions, please visit our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/onerupeeproject